What is Telehealth Counseling?
Telehealth Counseling is online therapy is a convenient enjoyable way to receive help from the comfort of your own home. A therapist provides counseling and support over the internet through email, video conferencing, online chat, or a phone call. Telehealth may be useful to individuals who cannot leave their home, who work unconventional hours, as well as those who live in rural or remote areas.
Tips for successful online therapy sessions
1. Get ready: Schedule 10 to 20 minutes before your first session to review instructions from your therapist for how to access the video portal test it out and make sure it works before the session starts
2. Minimize distractions: Aim for a quiet environment free from distractions. Notify family members and roommates that you will be having a private call. Ask them to turn down music and television so it does not disturb you.
3. Be prepared: Double check your internet connection. Make sure your device is charged and/or your charger is near. Headphones are encouraged for the best sound quality, but not required.
4. Optimize your connection: Setup your computer on a flat surface. This will eliminate shaking on the video. Make sure your face is fully in the frame. A computer/laptop is best but a phone or iPad can work in a pinch.
5. Keep calm: Tech issues are normal as everyone adjust. Keep in contact with your therapist via phone or email to sort things out if you have trouble connecting.
6. Get comfy: Snuggle up with your favorite blanket, a warm cup of tea, tissues (if needed) and your pet if they're cuddly. If your pet is rambunctious, let them play in another room to minimize distractions.
7. Connect as normal: Look into your therapist eyes rather than the camera or your own face. Treat it like a normal session you may be surprised to realize video sessions can feel just as personal as in person ones.